CIS mentors make a difference
Communities In Schools of Thomasville truly appreciates and sincerely thanks all of our wonderful and caring mentors at each of our Thomasville City Schools CIS sites — Primary School, Liberty Drive, Thomasville Middle School and Thomasville High School.
During National Mentor month, I would like to offer a word — or two — in honor of our many mentors.
Mentors help our students by being active participants in the Communities In Schools five basics.
• Having a one-on-one caring relationship with a CIS student.
• Coming into our school to help provide students a safe place to learn and grow.
• Helping to provide a healthy start and a healthy future for students through community resources.
• Tutoring students in academics and social skills to help them with marketable skills to use upon graduation
• Helping students give back to peers and community through special service projects at the school and outreach projects.
And our CIS mentors provide much more such as the donation of school supplies, clothing, books; serving as field trip chaperones, lunch buddies, small group mentors; helping at school and after-school sponsored CIS events and activities off site with student and family.
If you are interested in mentoring, please call CIS Director,
Judy Younts at 474-4233.
Donna Varner Davis serves as CIS site coordinator.