Cooking fire ignited house in fatal fire

Police identify victim as Jerry Lee Thomas, 46
May. 07, 2013 @ 04:11 PM

A house fire Saturday afternoon claimed the life of a Thomasville man.

According to Thomasville Police Department Detective Brad Saintsing, Jerry Lee Thomas, 46, of 475 Fairgrove Road, died as a result of injuries he sustained.

“The call came in a little after 4 [p.m.] and there was a fatality,” said Thomasville Fire Department Battalion Chief Robbie Binkley. “[The fire] appears to be accidental.”

Davidson County Fire Marshal Brad Needham said it appears the fire started in the kitchen of the single-story home as Thomas was cooking. Another adult and four children live at the residence but were not home at the time of the fire. The Red Cross is assisting the family. Needham said the home suffered extensive heat and smoke damage.

“It appears to be a cooking fire in the kitchen,” Needham said. “Neighbors saw smoke and alerted us of the fire through the 911 system. The damage to the home is significant.”

Thomasville, Pilot and Fair Grove fire departments needed less than a hour to get the blaze under control. Needham said one fireman suffered a laceration on his hand during the fire and needed medical attention.

The State Bureau of Investigation is investigating the fire due to the fatality. 

A celebration of life service will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, May 10, at Union Baptist Church with a family visitation being held 30 minutes prior to the service. A viewing will be held from 1 to 6 p.m. Thursday, May 9,  at the funeral home. Burial will take place at Thomasville City Cemetery.

 

Staff Writer Eliot Duke can be reached at 888-3578, or duke@tvilletimes.com.