Insley relieved standoff ends peacefully

Brothers face larceny charges
Mar. 25, 2014 @ 12:54 PM

Thomasville police Chief Jeff Insley knows how precarious standoffs can be.

A 2012 standoff between Chair City police and a man ended tragically, as officers ultimately shot the suspect on the steps of his Noah's Trail mobile home.

When a larceny suspect on Friday refused to come out of his trailer on Unity Street, Insley had no choice but to proceed with extreme caution.

“You always have the concern for the safety of those who live in the area,” Insley said. “You also have concern for the safety of those involved, the ones making the attempt to contact the individual. There are a lot of things going through your head. You always want to side with caution. Time is on our side. Slow down and think through the process.”

Friday's three-hour standoff at 1325 Unity St. Lot 5 ended peacefully when negotiators convinced Matthew Herring, 23, of the same address, to surrender without incident. Officers responded to the trailer two hours after arresting 19-year-old Dylan Herring, the suspect's brother.

Police received a call at approximately 6 a.m. from a citizen who observed a suspicious person breaking into a vehicle on Duncan Drive. Officers arrested Dylan Herring following a brief foot chase and K-9 track. During the course of the investigation, Dylan Herring told police that additional stolen goods could be found at his residence on Unity Street. Patrol officers arrived at the mobile home at approximately 8:39 a.m. in an effort to recover the items.

Matthew Herring was at the home, but did not cooperate with police. He barricaded himself in the trailer and refused to come out, leading to a tense three hours that saw police block off Unity Street from Albertson Road to Blair Street and send in the Special Response Team (SRT). The suspect surrendered at approximately 11:15 a.m. without incident.

“I was very pleased it ended with no one being hurt,” said Insley. “It says a lot about the work of our negotiating group. They did a great job handling the situation and bringing it to a peaceful end.”

Police charged Matthew Herring with resist, delay and obstruct public officers and served him with two outstanding warrants. He was issued a $10,000 secured bond. Dylan Herring was charged with breaking and entering into a motor vehicle.

Insley said detectives executed a search warrant at the mobile home and currently are using evidence from the scene to help resolve several vehicle breaking and entering cases in the area. No weapons were found in the home, but Insley said officers found some on the property.

Staff Writer Eliot Duke can be reached at 888-3578, or