Fire in Thomasville totals building

Aug. 04, 2014 @ 12:15 PM

Top Notch Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning, located at 6006 Ball Park Rd., was destroyed by fire Wednesday afternoon.

At approximately 3:30 p.m., Thomasville Fire Department received the call. Within minutes of fire fighters reporting to scene, the fire was extinguished, but not before it laid waste to the building.

Robbie Binkley, TFD Battallion Chief, said one employee was inside the building. He escaped without injury.

“The occupant was decontaminating mattresses when the mattresses caught fire,” Binkley said. “Something in the process of reconditioning the mattresses caused the building to catch on fire. I don't have a dollar amount, but the building is a total loss.”

Top Notch Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning was situated on a parcel that includes Malaska Motorsports. The exterior of the structure included garage bays with rollup doors, all of which were singed by the flames, leaving a black, ashy residue over the entire building.

"We got the call at around 3:30 and got the fire put out in just a few minutes,” Binkley said. “There isn't a whole lot more to report at this time, except that the fire was an accident and that it is still under investigation."

Despite the efforts of firefighters to contain the fire to the side of the building that was consumed by flames, the entire structure was considered a total loss due to the damage caused by smoke. The process of decontamination involves heating the mattresses, which are extremely flammable. When they burn, the chemicals that constitute the mattresses give off black smoke.

The building's owner, Howard Stewart, was not present at the scene of the fire and was not immediately reached for comment.

Staff Writer Daniel Kennedy can be reached at 888-3578, or at kennedy@tvilletimes.com.