Girl electrocuted at Lexington pool
An 11-year-old Lexington girl died Tuesday after getting electrocuted while swimming in a pool.
According to a Davidson County Sheriff's Office press release, Lauren Cecil, of Lorven Drive in Lexington, died when a downed power line near Brookside Swim Club sent a high voltage of electricity into the pool where the girl was swimming. Lifeguards at the scene administered CPR until Davidson County EMS arrived and transported Cecil to Wake Forest Lexington Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.
"We're still getting information together," Sheriff David Grice said. "The line runs beside the street and was around 75 feet from the pool and fell to the ground."
Emergency responders arrived at Brookside Swim Club, 210 Queens Road in Lexington, at approximately 8:04 p.m. Tuesday night in reference to a possible electrocution. According to the release, a lifeguard heard a loud pop, saw smoke and saw a power line fall to the ground near the parking lot. Two other girls in the water at the time got out of the pool on the side but Cecil went to a side ladder.
"The other girls felt like something tingling their toes and they jumped out on the skirt [of the pool]," said Grice. "[Cecil] grabbed the metal ladder to get out and apparently the ladder was ground and energized. The lifeguards got her out of the pool with a swim board and immediately started CPR until they were able to get her to the hospital."
Ron Triplette, Davidson County inspections director, told WXII that 7,200 volts of electricity traveled to everything around the power line, including the pool.
Staff Writer Eliot Duke can be reached at 888-3578, or firstname.lastname@example.org.